Norwalk gets $1.3 million in federal funds for COVID-19

Los Angeles
clear sky
79.6 ° F
85 °
71.6 °
22 %
1.6mph
1 %
Fri
82 °
Sat
86 °
Sun
86 °
Mon
88 °
Tue
84 °

By Arnold Adler

Contributing Writer

NORWALK — The city will use $1.3 million in federal funds to help cover unexpected costs to the community from the COVID-19 pandemic.

The informational report was received and filed by City Council Sept. 1, a spokesperson said.

Deputy City Manager Richard A. Rojas and Finance Director Jana Stuard, in a written report to the council, explained that the $1.3 million has been allocated to Norwalk through “The Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act (CARES Act) enacted by Congress March 27 in response to the Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak.”

The funds will be used for “necessary expenditures incurred due to the public health emergency, that were not accounted for in the (city) budget most recently approved” March 27, and will be incurred during the period that begins on March 1, and ends Dec. 30, Rojas and Stuard said in their report.

They noted that the CARES Act identifies six categories eligible for funding. They are: medical expenses, public health expenses, substantially dedicated payroll expenses, expenses to comply with public health measures and mitigation of COVID-19, economic support and other expenses.

“Funds cannot be used to backfill lost revenues, payroll or benefits of employee duties not ‘substantially dedicated’ to COVID-19, workforce bonuses or damages covered by insurance,” the report added.

Medical expenses could be testing, including serological/anti-body testing.

Public health expenses might include communication/enforcement-public health orders, acquisition and distribution of medical and protective supplies, cleaning supplies for public health and safety staff, disinfection of public areas and other facilities, technical assistance on mitigation, public safety measures in response to COVID-19 and quarantining individuals.

It would also cover substantially dedicated payroll expenses or repurposed employees to previously unbudgeted functions.

Funds also could be used to comply with public health measures and mitigate the effects of COVID-19, including telework capabilities for public employees, providing paid sick, paid family and medical leave to public employees and caring for homeless and vulnerable population.

Economic support could include grants to small businesses for costs of business interruption, financial assistance for overdue rent or mortgages to avoid eviction and unemployment insurance cost.

“In addition to the CARES Act funding, the city may also request reimbursement of costs directly related to COVID-19 from the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), which will reimburse 75%. The remaining 25% can be covered by CARES Act funds,” Rojas and Stuard said in their report.

Latest Articles

Two City Council seats at stake in Culver City

City also has ballot measures on rent control, sales tax increase Wave Staff Report LOS ANGELES — After months of campaigning, debates and mailboxes filled with...

Residents line up to receive flu shots outside library

By Cynthia Gibson Contributing Writer CULVER CITY — The Los Angeles County Department of Public Health administered a record number of flu vaccines during a free...

County reveals new look for Rosa Parks transit center

By Sue Favor Contributing Writer WILLOWBROOK — The Los Angeles County Metropolitan Transportation Authority debuted the new Rosa Parks Customer Center and Transit Court in Oct....

Blacks aren’t about to save Trump at the polls

By Jesse Jackson Sr. Guest Columnist If a lie is repeated often enough, the truth may never catch up. Donald Trump understands this better than anyone,...

Election Day won’t be a repeat of 2016

THE HUTCHINSON REPORT By Earl Ofari Hutchinson Contributing Columnist On Sept. 12, 2016, I wrote in a detailed email to a friend that “Trump may win.” Few...