Inglewood

Tucker health clinic to close amid federal funding cuts

By Emilie St. John

Contributing Writer

INGLEWOOD — The Los Angeles County Department of Public Health will end clinic services at seven locations, including the Curtis R. Tucker Public Health Clinic, 123 W. Manchester Blvd., later this month because of significant funding cuts totaling more than $50 million, officials announced Feb. 13.

The affected clinics — which provide services including vaccinations, sexually transmitted infection testing and treatment, and tuberculosis testing and care — are scheduled to cease clinical operations on Feb. 27.

Public health officials said services will continue at six remaining clinics and through nearby community health providers, officials said.

“Public Health is facing serious funding challenges that are reducing our ability to continue all existing programs and forcing the closure of several public health clinics,” Public Health Director Barbara Ferrer said in a statement.

She added that investments in community health providers over the past decade have expanded access to comprehensive care, and patients will be connected with alternative services to meet their needs.

In July 2020, the Curtis R. Tucker Health Center completed a $7.6 million expansion and remodeling project to better serve the residents of Inglewood and surrounding communities. This location marks the first time that the Los Angeles County Departments of Health Services, Mental Health Services and Public Health have joined under one roof to provide patients with seamless integrated care, regardless of ability to pay.

The Inglewood facility primarily serves those with no insurance or no regular health care provider. It is unclear why the Inglewood location was selected for closure after spending millions to expand and better serve the community.

Inglewood residents reacted to the closure with dismay.

“There’s been an attack on public health and its not until the crisis arrives at the doors of those cutting funding that there will be concern,” wrote one resident.

Yolanda Davidson, a longtime Inglewood resident, spoke with County Supervisor Holly J. Mitchell directly.

“Ms. Mitchell said a few of the clinics] are going to become full service and Curtis Tucker will be one of them,” Davidson said.

Some attributed the federal funding cuts to the amounts California is spending on undocumented immigrants.

“Might have to do with Gov. Gavin Newsom spending $8.4 billion on healthcare for undocumented immigrants,” wrote another resident.

Last month, Newsom released his proposed budget which offers alternatives for health care options for undocumented immigrants.

The proposed budget includes two provisions that advocates say would sharply reduce health coverage for immigrants.

The first would impose federal work requirements on undocumented adults who receive state-funded Medi-Cal. Under those rules, people would need to prove they are working, looking for work, or enrolled in a job-training program in order to keep their coverage.

The second provision would effectively end full health coverage for an estimated 200,000 immigrants who lost access to federally funded Medi-Cal under H.R.1. The bill cut off federal Medi-Cal funding for refugees, those seeking asylum, and survivors of domestic violence and trafficking.

County health officials cited reductions in federal, state and local funding, along with rising operational costs, as key factors forcing the consolidation of services. Federal funding accounts for nearly half of the department’s budget, and officials warned that continued uncertainty could lead to additional disruptions.

Newsom remains cautious about not overspending in the 2026-27 fiscal year.

“This budget reflects both confidence and caution,” Newsom said. “California’s economy is strong, revenues are outperforming expectations, and our fiscal position is stable because of years of prudent fiscal management — but we remain disciplined and focused on sustaining progress, not overextending it.

“We must continue our prudent fiscal management, funding our reserves, and continuing the investments Californians rely on, from education to public safety, all while preparing for Trump’s volatility outside our control. This is what responsible governance looks like.”

Other local clinics scheduled for closure are in downtown Los Angeles, Hollywood, South Los Angeles, Pomona, Torrance and Antelope Valley.

Emilie St. John is a freelance journalist covering the areas of Carson, Compton, Inglewood and Willowbrook. Send tips to her at emiliesaintjohn@gmail.com.

Related Articles

Back to top button