Feds commit $3 million to fix fire-damaged freeway 

[adrotate banner="54"]

Wave Staff and Wire Reports

LOS ANGELES — The federal government will provide $3 million in quick release emergency funding to help repair parts of the Santa Monica (10) Freeway that was damaged by fire Nov. 11.

Mayor Karen Bass and Gov. Gavin Newsom announced the funding Nov. 15 as crews began working to repair the damaged freeway that was closed in both directions between Alameda Street and the East Los Angeles interchange.

“I want to thank the Biden administration for their continued partnership to help California fix the 10,” Newsom said in a statement. “Fixing this freeway is critical to restoring the movements of people and goods in the third-largest metropolitan economy in the world. With President Biden’s support to rebuild critical infrastructure, California is leveraging an all-of-government approach — working 24 hours a day, seven days a week — to fix the 10 as quickly as possible so we can get LA’s traffic moving safely in December.”

Newsom and Bass also noted that contract crews have completed the removal of all hazardous materials and burn debris from beneath the freeway in the burn area — two days ahead of schedule — giving full access to Caltrans to move forward on repairs.

Bass said motorists appear to be heeding warnings about avoiding the area of the closed freeway stretch, saying surface streets appeared to be much less congested during the morning commute. 

“I can tell you the morning traffic looked good, looked normal, looked like Angelenos are paying attention,” Bass said.

The mayor spoke after taking a helicopter tour of the closure area, and after riding the Expo Line during the morning commute from the Expo/Western Station in South Los Angeles to Little Tokyo. Bass has been urging residents to use public transit to alleviate congestion on the freeways and on city streets that can become quickly overloaded.

“I had a stress-free ride on the Expo Line,” she said. “I didn’t have to get off the train because we now have the Regional Connector, and it was a very smooth, stress-free ride.”

She repeated her call for commuters to take public transit, work from home or staying on freeways as much as possible to prevent traffic from jamming local streets. The closed portion of the freeway typically carries about 300,000 vehicles per day.

Bass, who also chairs the Metropolitan Transportation Authority’s Board of Directors, said ridership on the county’s transit system has increased about 10% over the past few days.

The stretch of freeway is expected to remain closed for about three to five weeks while crews work to shore up the deck of the heavily traveled roadway, which was damaged in a fire that erupted in a storage yard beneath the freeway.

Officials had initially feared the freeway closure could last for months if the damage was so extensive that it would require demolition and rebuilding of the stretch. But Newsom announced Nov. 14 that tests on concrete and rebar determined that the structural integrity of the freeway was better than anticipated, so it can be repaired without a full tear-down.

He noted that the work will still be a big job, since roughly 100 support columns beneath the freeway were damaged and need to be repaired.

Newsom said he expects the work to be completed and at least part of the freeway reopened earlier than five weeks.

“I do not want to see that five-week mark hit,” he said. “I want to see something much faster.”

Bass warned that three to five weeks is still a long time to endure a major freeway closure, but she expressed optimism that motorists are doing their part to find alternative routes or modes of transportation. 

The mayor directed the Los Angeles City Department of Transportation to make Commuter Express and DASH buses free to encourage commuters to use public transportation. She also requested an increase in the number of white-glove traffic officers in congested areas to assist commuters through busy intersections.

She also directed Los Angeles Fire Chief Kristin Crowley to begin surveying similar storage areas under other freeway overpasses and identifying spots that might be vulnerable to fire.

The fire has been deemed by investigators to have been intentionally set, breaking out within the fenceline of a storage yard. Officials have declined to indicate exactly how the fire may have been set or to say how they so quickly determined it was arson.

Bass said there are security cameras in the area, but it was unclear if any of them caught the culprit or culprits in the act.

The company that leases the property where the fire occurred, Calabasas-based Apex Development, is being sued by the state for failure to pay rent and violating the terms of its lease, in part by sub-leasing the property to other businesses and by allowing flammable materials to be stored on the land.

Another court hearing in that case is expected early next year.

Newsom said Caltrans is reviewing all similar leases to determine if other companies might be violating lease terms. Bass said she has asked all city general managers to report if their agencies have any active leases of property beneath the freeway.

The freeway remains closed roughly between Alameda Street and Santa Fe Avenue, affecting connectors to the Santa Ana (5), Hollywood (101) and Pomona (60) freeways.

Officials urged motorists trying to navigate the area to remain on various freeways as much as possible to avoid having local streets overloaded but commuter traffic on east-west thoroughfares like Washington and Whittier boulevards, First and Fourth streets and Cesar Chavez Avenue were noticeably more congested than normal during the first few days of the week.

State officials established a website at fixthe10.ca.gov to provide the latest information on the repair process.

Bass, in an interview with KNX News Nov. 14, said she is also pushing for tolls to be suspended on ExpressLanes on freeways near the closure area. A commuter told KNX earlier she paid more than $20 in surge congestion pricing to use the ExpressLanes, even though they were just as jammed as the regular freeway lanes.

“When I learned about that, you should know that I am aggressively pursuing that,” Bass told the station. “So hopefully that will be corrected. That’s the last thing we need right now, frankly. We need every mode of transportation to function and that includes those lanes.”

The initial fire was reported at 12:22 a.m. Nov. 11 in the 1700 block of East 14th Street, two blocks west of Alameda Street, according to the Los Angeles Fire Department’s Margaret Stewart.

Firefighters from 26 companies worked feverishly to contain and extinguish the fire, which started in one downtown pallet yard, spread to another and consumed a fire engine that became stuck in its path, Stewart said.

The first pallet yard was 40,000 square feet in size and fully involved with flames that engulfed multiple trailers when firefighters arrived.

The flames spread to the second pallet yard of similar size between Lawrence and Elwood streets.

Stewart said that within two hours pallets in both yards were mostly consumed by the flames and firefighters were using bulldozers to move debris and put out hot spots.

Firefighters successfully prevented the fire from spreading to three nearby commercial buildings, Stewart said.

[adrotate banner="53"]

Must Read

[adrotate banner="55"]